No-bypass brewing is gaining popularity lately. A lot of no-bypass brewers are being released. Tricolate, LVL-10, Hario Mugen, Orea (with the negotiator), etc.
The latest generation of no-bypass brewers, like the Next Level Pulsar, also combines a variable flow-rate valve into the mix.
Pulsar is impossible to buy around here right now, and I do have some reservations in purchasing one (higher minimum recommended amount of coffee required, proprietary filter size, etc). But I’m still intrigued by the overall idea of combining immersion, no-bypass, and low agitation brew.
I happen to own Hario Switch, Hario Mugen, and also the Melodrip. So I thought, why not leverage what I already have? 🙂
Dose: 17g of coffee
Brew water temperature: 95º-96ºC; adjust accordingly to roast level. You might want to make it 1-2 degree hotter because of temperature drop of using Melodrip. Off the boil should be fine too IMO. Play around 🙂
Grind: Grind size setting 3 on the Fellow Ode Gen 2.
- Pre-wet the paper filter with hot water.
- Close the valve, put coffee in.
- Pour water ~5x the coffee weight, in this case 85-90g of hot water. Swirl 2-3 times. You can also do Wet-WDT if you want.
- Bloom for 1 minute.
- Open the valve.
- Slowly pour the rest of the brew water (up to 285g total) with the Melodrip. Swirl 2-3 times at the end of the pour.
- Total brew time should be around 3:30 (including 1 minute bloom)
It should result in a lighter bodied (but not hollow), well-balanced cup of coffee.
Please give it a try and share with me you results, or maybe how you’d do it differently. Cheers!
Sebelum kamu pergi
Kalau kamu suka dengan artikel ini, gunakan tombol-tombol di bawah untuk membagikan artikel ini ke teman-teman kamu, dan daftarkan email kamu untuk mendapatkan update jika ada artikel baru.